Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Thoughts on The DaVinci Code



More "Nay" than "Yay" Still thinkin'. This is really not a review. Just thoughts so far...

Maybe I should've read the book. Or maybe I shouldn't have read any of the reviews until after I watched the movie. Needless to say, I'm not a religious person by any means. And this movie just made me reconfirm that truth: that I have absolutely no idea what to believe when it comes to such specific details. Is it possible to believe in everything being a possiblity? Can I be ok just being confused? People brought so much hype with it in writing and barely placed it at 50/100 spot as a film. It's amazing how different a story can be told if put into a different medium.

There I was. Intrigued. Happy in a way that I don't have to go through so many pages to finally see what all the fuss was about. And yet, now I'm still wondering?

Don't get me wrong, Tom Hanks is an astounding actor in my eyes. He plays such a key role in me even going to watch this because I've always admired his work. But I feel that even he couldn't make this easy to tell. I know why this is so controversial. Obviously, that was the best part in the whole thing. Finding out what DaVinci was trying to argue by seeing the painting of "The Supper" and noticing the little details about the Holy Grail. A shit storm. People gasped in the theatre when such a point was being revealed, but like I stated earlier, I'm not a religious person. So in my eyes nterestingly enough, it's simply believe it or not. I did, however, go to my parent's house to see if a cup was in fact a part of the sculpture of "The Supper" they have sitting above their piano. No cup.

I obviously can't be like all the others who say, "the book was better" because I wouldn't know. But I can't say that this movie was to any degree "amazing." I think it is best told in writing because a person can understand more if they move at their own pace and our imagination is in fact a powerful tool of its own in our head as it portrays what we take in. However, we of course must be patient enough to read this stuff in which I'm unfortunate to say I'm not.

Is it safe to say that there's just to much out there to be so one-track minded? Just because we've been taught one way for so long, is that really the only way? In that case, we would've still believed the world is flat. I'm still debating.

No comments: